The ATO has made no secret of its “Less Paper” push. At ATO SmartDocs we have been part of the ATO API working group for over 12 months and things are moving very quickly.
What is the ATO API?
The ATO API allows third party developers who have ATO Digital Service Provider security status like ATO SmartDocs clearance to access directly on your practice’s behalf your Client Communication History documents directly into ATO SmartDocs ready for automatic processing.
- No more scanning of documents like NOA’s no more downloading NOA’s from the ATO Agents Portal. We can talk directly to the ATO servers saving your heaps of time.
- Here is a quick checklist you should review to make sure your practice is ready for the ATO API and the ATO’s less paper push.
- You should make sure you have as many clients as possible on secure digital delivery like email with a PIN. If you use normal email you will need to redact not just the TFN but the client’s name to make sure you are compliant with the Privacy legislation. Note with the secure PIN 2-factor authentication approach of ATO smartDocs you can send an original copy of the ATO document without any redaction. The firms we work with will generally have 95% of their clients on secure email delivery. Don’t get caught sending Payable NOA’s with the PRN number on them as the PRN is the TFN and must be redacted.
- Make sure you have an automated system for processing ATO documents that cover every document type the ATO produces otherwise you will be caught out with two different workflow systems. Currently, the ATO produces 258 different document types which are all covered by ATO SmartDocs.
- Email is a terrible digital client experience. Most firms will email over 10 documents a year to their clients which just sit in your client’s inbox. Get a strategy around a client portal or even better get your own client app in the Google and Apple stores and your clients can access their documents in one spot on their mobiles. Imagine if banks did not have mobile apps and just relied on email.
You need a super-fast process for getting your ATO client documents processed. The Bench make is less than 10 seconds to process any of the 258 ATO documents you get from the ATO. This includes checking of NOA’s, renaming and filing, creating the covering email, letter or sending the ATO document to your portal or client app.
Book a review of your current ATO Document processing system to make sure you are ready for the ATO API. Book a free Zoom ATO Document Processing review with ATO SmartDocs via our website we would love to help you. www.iPracticeApps.com.au
The ATO is moving very fast in their “Less Paper” project make sure your firm does not get left behind.
Contact Ron at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ATO Client Correspondence API update and what it means for your practice - 8 March 2021
- ATO SmartDocs - 14 August 2018
- 2018 – The Year of the Progressive Digital Practice - 19 January 2018