The Australian government offers a range of incentives to employers, to engage apprentices.
The current ‘hot’ incentive is the Kickstart Incentive. This is available to employers who engage apprentice plumbers, electricians, carpenters and other construction industry apprenticeships prior to 28th February 2013. The apprenticeship has to be for a trade that is listed in the ‘National Skills Needs List’ (NSNL) in Building and Construction categories for apprentices undertaking Certificate III or IV level qualification that leads to a building or construction occupation listed in the NSNL.
Grants of a total amount of $3,350 are payable to an eligible business with less than 200 employees. $850 is payable after 6 months from commencement and $2,500 after 12 months from commencement.
There are nine different categories of employer initiatives for the engagement of apprentices covering:
- New apprentices for specific skill areas
- New apprentices for occupations listed in the NSNL
- Apprentices in rural and regional areas
- Mature aged apprentices (over 45 years)
- School based apprentices
- Apprentices with disabilities
- Apprentices working in declared drought areas
- Adult apprentices (over 25 years)
- Kickstart Initiative.
Full details of the various grant payments are available within ESS BIZGrants, together with details of the trades listed on the National Skills Needs list.
What Product clients are entitled to 10% discount on subscriptions to ESS BIZGrants. To obtain this discount, please quote ESS3WHA on the ESS BIZGrants subscription form available at www.essbizgrants.com.au.
- What does 2021 have in store for ATO audit activity? - 26 November 2020
- Over 30,000 people have invested in crowd sourced funding equity raising - 13 August 2019
- The 7 things your SMSF clients are judging you on - 13 June 2019