Has your firm pondered the question “What can a Portal do that we can’t do with Email or Dropbox”? The revelations by ex CIA agent, Edward Snowden, that the CIA is secretly accessing internet records of Australian citizens have again put the spotlight on email and cloud storage security.
Many people don’t understand that a copy of your email – together with any confidential unencrypted file attachments – are stored on intermediate email servers located anywhere in the world. It is like sending a postcard through the mail. If the information isn’t confidential you don’t bother sealing it in an envelope and paying extra postage. But, if the information is confidential, you absolutely need to go some extra effort.
Products like Dropbox (or equivalent) may be convenient for some, but ask the question “Who can access the confidential information that may be stored in these products?” What would happen if a staff members computer was either stolen or lost? The confidential information may be exposed and potentially used. You know that this information should be stored in a central location but may be struggling with a tool that can help you manage it.
Many firms are implementing a Practice & Client Portal so that they can securely and easily communicate with their clients. Confidential information such as Tax Returns, ATO Assessments, Superannuation Fund statements and data files (such as MYOB, Quicken etc), is quickly and easily being shared between a Practice and its Clients.
When looking for a Portal for your firm, ensure the product provides the following features and functionality:
- Securely share files with your Clients anytime, anywhere and on any internet enabled device
- Can automatically download documents from the Portal and store them locally on your fileserver
- Automatic email notifications sent to Clients and Staff advising when files are uploaded
- Online conversations recorded against a file, which can be viewed by all staff and the client
- Ability to quickly and easily digitally sign documents securely online
- Ability to send your clients a Webform Checklist to collect information (such as details needed to complete an ITR), and then be able to track client responses
- All data is encrypted and is stored in world class data centers in Australia
- Can synchronise your Client details from your Practice Management System so there is only one point of maintenance
- Customisable so that the Portal reflects your Business branding
- Will work with or without a website
The answer is a Nimbus Client Portal which is not only secure, it is also more efficient and professional, with your branding, your custom client content and your service advertising, as you prefer. Documents are available to your clients all day, every day, making it your 24 x 7 Practice Gateway.
Contact Debby Woodbridge on 1800 NIMBUS for further information, or visit our website www.nimbushome.com.
- What does 2021 have in store for ATO audit activity? - 26 November 2020
- Over 30,000 people have invested in crowd sourced funding equity raising - 13 August 2019
- The 7 things your SMSF clients are judging you on - 13 June 2019