The best way to motivate business owners and sell your accounting firm’s advisory services is to keep it simple! Provide your clients with thought provoking analysis, questions and templates.
Try and show them the big picture. Look at the “why” or the “purpose behind their being” and then frame the process around helping them to achieve their goals and dreams.
We recently took a group of Business Owners through the process of creating a One Page Exit plan and the results are always the same. The process leads to the potential sale 12-36 months of Advisory work.
CASE STUDY- HOW TO USE THE PROCESS
We either run the process as a workshop with a group of business owners or use as a “one on one” early engagement tool.
We developed a one page template that creates a summary of the Business Owners major goals, personal vision, business value pers
onal & exit & succession goals.
Our goal has always been to help Business Owners start a discussion about their eventual exit and ensure that they touch upon all the most important issues well before their planned succession.
The Exit Planning process requires expert guidance from a number of professional advisors on a variety of factors some of which we have mentioned below.
- Shareholder Alignment & Timing.
- Strategy & Value Creation (For example, social media, advertising, marketing, sales training).
- Review of Personal Issues (Goals, Legacy).
- Financial Planning.
- Business Valuation.
- Tax Planning.
- Legal Compliance & IP Issues.
- Estate Planning.
- HR & Succession Issues.
- Equity Capital Raising.
- Business Transition Broking Issues.
Characteristics of the process:
- The One Page Exit Plan© is simple to understand.
- Educational for the business owner.
- Enjoyable to develop.
- Dynamic document, which can be modified and adapted easily.
- Can provide the driving force and narrative for multiple advisors.
- Ensures advisors on the same page as each other and the business owners.
- Can be done initially as a simple exercise but has the ability to be the framework for weeks/months and even years of driving actions.
- It connects the dots. Decisions about a Business Owner exit can be done in isolation between business matters, personal financial planning and your personal wellness.
Peter Hickey | CEO | MAUS
- Client Discovery Sessions to Help Win Business Advisory Work - 18 July 2019
- “What sank the titanic?…” the top of the iceberg or the bottom!” - 13 May 2019
- Finding Opportunities for Your Clients Through Segmentation - 17 April 2019