Today, I want to talk about the client discovery programme.
Probably one of the most powerful tools you can have to winning a new client is the Client Discovery Process. Learning to have a conversation and turn that conversation into future business advisory work.
I have included a sample Client Discovery form that some of our consultants use that has literally won hundreds of thousands of dollars of advisory work.
This might give you a good running start at conducting an effective discovery session. What really works as well is some nicely timed key Phrases which I have listed below.
The nice part about this form is that it leads you and your client through a process.
- Start off with a few financial questions
- Ask questions about stress, enjoyment in the business, whether they are achieving what they first set out to achieve. This means that you are concerned about them!
- Ask about what the end game is. Do they have an exit plan? (This could lead to significant advisory work for you)
- Then the big area “What is holding you back?” That gets them to open up and start a real conversation.
- Ask about their priorities
- Finish up with a 90 day action plan
HOW DO YOU WIN WORK FROM THIS SESSION: – At the back of this you want to then lead into “We can help you to follow through on these objectives and strategies. Why don’t we…
- Set up a meeting t discuss in details your business goals and strategies or help you to prepare an exit & succession plan.
- Then let’s meet once a month and help keep you accountable.
SAMPLE CLIENT DISCOVERY PHRASES
I find some of the following phrases very powerful.
- There is no magic wand to solving all your problems overnight but this program is a very practical program that you can start on immediately.
- You need to break the cycle. If you do nothing – nothing will change.
- What would it mean to you….. To sell your business for a million dollars, to have 10 new customers a week …? To be able to have 3 weeks holiday a year? To spend more time with family…? Etc
- You can’t be expected to know everything and our program is about filling in some of those blanks for you.
- Without wanting to sound like I am belittling your issues, we deal with hundreds of businesses and most business owners believe their business and problems are unique.
- The reality is hundreds or thousands of businesses have confronted the same issues and come up with long term solutions to them. You may have a unique mix of problems but the problems themselves are the same.
- What are your current business challenges?
- As a business owner we realise you have hundreds of issues –that’s normal, however there are usually 2 or 3 key make or break issues that are getting in the way of you achieving your goals.
- If you could wave a magic wand over your business what would you like to achieve?
- Most business owners if they have 10-20 issues try to solve all of them and do a lousy job. We help you to focus on your top two or three issues. We then resolve one by one these issues. Single focused.
- What is your biggest challenge?…what would you make in the next 6 months, in terms of increased sales or profit or how much would you save if this was fixed tomorrow.
Peter Hickey | CEO | MAUS
- Client Discovery Sessions to Help Win Business Advisory Work - 18 July 2019
- “What sank the titanic?…” the top of the iceberg or the bottom!” - 13 May 2019
- Finding Opportunities for Your Clients Through Segmentation - 17 April 2019